Tuesday, August 06, 2013

A Little Musicality

Hello all my cyber buddies all two of you. lol It's been a while since I've written but I haven't forgotten this "scorned blog."  If you stay around the blog long enough to actually read you know that on occasion I've given mini reviews of Youtube videos, movies and on occasion books.  I'm not as eloquent and detailed as my friend Valannin, he is a truly talented writer.  Here is my meager opinion/suggestion.  I've have recently discovered the music of this artist.  When I say artist I mean it in every sense of the word. 

In an age where  popular music is relegated to a danceable beat and hook that repeats at least a dozen times, boy bands that don't play any instruments, and vocal inabilities corrected by auto tune;  it's difficult to tell which singers are actually talented; but not this man. His music is a veritable cold ice tea in August, in the south...refreshing. Declan O'Rourke is well known in his native Ireland, but not as well known in the U.S.  That's a shame.  His music transverses a variety of styles: the crooner style of the 50's and 60's as evident in his song, "Everything is Different," from his album '"Since Kaybram"  to his songs "Poor Boy's Shoes" and "Marrying the Sea" done in grand story teller fashion, to upbeat inspiring songs like "Lightening Bird Wind River Man" and "Be Brave and Believe" to love ballads "The Dancing Song" and "Sarah"  All that said to say this, his music is multifaceted.  Although not highly polished, his voice is unique.  It's like he swallowed some gravel, washed it down with whiskey and then topped it off with velvet.  It's has a deep rich tone and timbre that is quite soothing. Anyway do your ears a favor and check out his videos.  Maybe he'll come back to the states soon.
Be Brave and Believe
Poor Boy's Shoes
Lightening Bird Wind River Man
Marrying the Sea (Til Death Do Us Part)


Oh, and I would be amiss if I didn't mention this artist.   Peter Hollens is an extremely  talented A cappella singer, actually both he and his wife Evynne are talented.   Using only the human voice he provides all of his own back ground music.  Outstandingly beautiful cover songs and some impressive original work.  So give him a listen.
Les Miserables Medley cover
Moves Like Jagger, Maroon 5 Cover
Shenandoah Cover
Sleepwalking, original Peter Hollens


I know these guys have probably had better or worse reviews than I've given and by people who are more qualified to give them.  When I like something, I say it and when I don't, I say it.  Life's too short not to say what you need to say.  I know what I like and I like this music.   I think you will too.

Til' we chat again,

~peace~
Moni



No comments: