Thursday, May 31, 2012

You've Got to be Kidding Me!

So the Mayans say the world will end on December 21,  2012.   Until now I haven't taken much stock in what their prediction, because I don't what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.  And that's all right with me.  But, the crap I hear in the press makes me think that society as a whole is getting ready to implode. 

First, you've got episodic cannibalism...what?!  Yeah, that's right and not in some recently discovered anthropological find of a new tribe in the dark recesses of Africa.  No, we're talking about the industrialized, highly technologically advanced country of Japan.  The story goes that a man cut off his own genitalia and served it to others as a fund raiser.  People bought it and ate it.!!!  That's just mind-blowingly sick to me.  I don't who's the sickest; the man for serving it or the people who ingested it.  http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/man-cooks-serves-own-genitals-to-5-paying-diners  I wonder what kind of wine goes with penis?

Oh and how about the man who was using the latest drug of choice called bathsalts?  Seems he got high and thought he was a dog and consumed 80% of a man's face before he was shot and eventually killed by the police.  He was shot the first time but he was hopped on this stuff that he didn't even realize he'd been shot.  He then began to growl at the police.  "shaking my head."  http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/bath-salts-officials-synthetic-drug-disguise-behind-cannibal-attack-article-1.1086791

And last but not least, I must add a little dash of  communism, not cannibalism.  It seems that New York City's  Mayor Bloomberg is trying to pass a law that will outlaw  the sale of any soft drink more than 16 ounces within the city.  His attempt to make us all healthier or at least the people of NYC is idiotic to me and nothing short of communist.  Yes, it is true that the U.S. is epidemically obese.  But the sugar in soda is only an minute facet of that problem.  We had sugar in the 1950's and 60's yet we as a nation were not obese. I think the real problem is multifaceted and cannot be solved in one fell swoop.  Maybe we should focus on child and family nutritional education.  Maybe we should install workplace exercise in the middle of the day, I'm sure the sedentary lifestyle that we Americans have had for the past 30-40 years doesn't contribute to obesity at all. (sarcasm) Oh, and how about  portion control?  When we eat out at a restaurant we get enough on our plate to feed a small impoverish village.  I don't pretend to have all the answers to the health crisis, but I do know it can't be solved with a political hat trick.  Is this why my grandfather fought in WW11?  So we can be told what to eat, drink, and eventually when to poop?  There are so many deeper far- reaching societal ills that we need to tackle.  You know them; corruption, economic down-turns, drug abuse, ecological crisis', teen pregnancy, prejudice...need I go on?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of a 20 oz soft drink." 

~~peace~~
    Moni

No comments: